Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm an answerer

Lately, I've become addicted to Yahoo! Answers. If you don't know what that is, basically people post a question to the website, and other people answer them. The questioner and other users can vote on the best answer, and you get points for having the best answer.

Its kind of exhilirating to be chosen as the best answer. Its also really crazy how many people don't know how to use the Internet! I mean, some of these answers you can find on Wikipedia. Some of the questions are kind of funny (how do they keep the colors separate in a Cadbury creme egg), other questions are straight from a kid's homework assignment.

I always get a little thrill when my question is chosen as the best answer, but when I told Matt that, he said, "Aren't you just doing your job?" Which is true, I guess. But it just goes to show that in the age of the Internet, librarians are needed more than ever.

1 comment:

emma said...

Me too! I'm totally addicted. I mostly answer questions where I can offer some personal experience, but I've done a few that just involve doing the googling or wiki-ing for the questioner. I even answered a math problem that was clearly part of a homework assignment. It was kind of exciting to know that I'm still able to solve a system of equations after all these years. And, I explained each step so at least theoretically the cheater might learn something. So far I have had two best answers chosen and it really is exciting. It's so fun giving advice to people online it's like I don't even need to have real friends...I mean, I love you guys.