Thursday, September 07, 2006

meeting Kevin Costner

Tonight as I was getting out of the Metro, getting ready to go home, I saw a large crowd gathered at the theatre across the street. In turns out they were doing the world premiere of The Guardian, the new Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher film. I figured there was a pretty good chance to see some celebrities, so I decided to stick around.

In case you've never heard of the movie, its about the U.S. Coast Guard. Kevin Costner plays the tired, but wise, older guy, and Ashton Kutcher is the young hot shot. After about 30 minutes, Sela Ward came down the red carpet (yes, there actually was a red carpet). I was standing across the street, so I could see her pretty clearly. Several of us called her name, but she didn't really acknowledge us.
At 6:45, Kevin Costner and a lovely young lady, maybe his daughter, arrived. Unfortunately, they started going the wrong way! They walked across the street, away from where I was standing, and he started shaking hands. Finally, he started walking back, and then he crossed the street to where I was standing. He came within 3 feet of me! I was about to shake his hand, but then this homeless guy came up to KC and clasped his shoulder and stuck out his hand for him to shake. The guy said, "I'm just a homeless guy, but I'm a big fan of your movies." KC was wearing sunglasses, but he still managed to look a little stunned. Finally, he said, "Thanks. I've been there." And then he walked off.

The premiere was supposed to start at 7 p.m, but at 6:58, there was still no sign of Ashton Kutcher. Finally, another limo pulled up, and out came Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore. I started jumping up and down like the 14 year old girl standing next to me. We started yelling, "Cross the street!" But alas, he gave us a couple of enthusiastic waves, and then he and Demi started off down the red carpet. Demi looked fabulous, with all that long hair.

Incidentally, there were a lot of military bigwigs there, and another political bigwig too, Tom Ridge, the head of Homeland Security.

The women I was standing next to had a camera, and I gave them my email address to send me photos, if they can figure out how to do that. I only got one picture of Kevin Costner with my camera phone and I can't figure out how to post the picture. So if anybody knows, please tell me!

2 comments:

emma said...

This is so exciting! Who knew there were red carpets in DC? Anyway, inquiring minds want to know! Who is hotter -- Demi or Ashton? And, who is taller -- Costner or Kutcher?

emma said...

oh oh!!! What was Demi wearing?